Inpatients (for communication and/or swallowing difficulties)

If you (or your relative) is in hospital as an inpatient they will be referred to Speech & Language Therapy by a member of the ward team.

If family members have any concerns about their relative’s swallowing or communication they should report this to the nurse or doctor in charge of their relatives care.

After discharge from hospital

There are a number of ways in which you can carry on working on your communication on/or swallowing after you have left hospital and your SLT will discuss this with you before leaving hospital

If you have been having SLT input following a stroke, you will be transferred to your local Enhanced Supported Discharge (ESD) team who will continue with your care at home, along with any other professionals involved.

If you haven’t had a stroke, you will be transferred to your local community team who will contact you to discuss your ongoing needs, and offer you either a home visit or an outpatient appointment although this may not be immediately after your discharge.

Voice Referrals (outpatients)

We are unable to accept referrals directly from patients and GPs.

If you are having difficulties with your voice or throat, your first step should be to visit your own GP. Your GP might then decide to refer you onto an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) department, so that a specialist doctor can assess you. If your ENT Consultant believes your voice/throat problem would be best treated by a Speech and Language Therapist (SLT), you will be referred to us.

Once we have received the referral, we will contact you by phone or post to make an appointment as soon as possible.


If you are worried about your communication and swallowing whilst at home you should talk to your GP who can refer you to the appropriate community healthcare team or other service.